Thursday, February 7, 2013

Laumei Lapopoa

This entire post is going to be dedicated to sea turtles, because what's more exciting than sea turtles? I almost get heart palpitations just thinking about the beauts that we saw on the North Shore, I was clearly the too-excessively-excited one of the group, but HOW COULD I NOT BE?! The turtles are protected by law (and turtle vigilantes that stand around and watch you when you walk near them) so you can't touch them, but they're perfectly content to lie next to you and lazily indulge your ecstasy and photoshoots.

We stumbled upon two of them, and Billy and Joe (our tour guides for the day) estimated that they were each around 80 from their sizes. They were so sweet and gentle and it's impossible to articulate how beautiful they were. Lying alone next to the female while the rest of the group was further down the beach and watching the waves crash is something that I'll never forget.

Living dinosaurs


So photogenic
Portrait of a mellow turtle and a borderline too enthralled ginger

Also, your useful Samoan phrase for your incorporation into mainland living of the day-- giant turtles are "laumei lapopoa." I've also learned to say, "'Ou te ma'i i i'a," which roughly translates to "Eating fish will kill me." With those two down, I'd say I have all of my Samoan staple phrases down.

I'm waiting on pictures from my friend Amy for my next post, so in the meantime emotionally prepare yourself.

-Ulu Afi (I promised Nick I'd sign out with this. It means Fire Head)

No comments:

Post a Comment