Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Fastest Typing in Town: Racing Against Inconsistent Internent

The internet here is as unpredictable as the weather, and I wish I could write a long and lovely post about this amazing country for everyone, but as of right now I'm not risking losing connection. For the time being, enjoy a few pictures! 
The digs

Found out the hard way that that mud is very similar to quicksand... the water is so inaccessible here, which is exaggerated by the fact that it's probably the hottest place in the world. But still pretty, right?

Best view on campus-- from the water room. If you squint and look to the left, that's the ocean and Apia.

Maile!

The Chinese built a massive Olympic swimming/diving pavilion just outside of Apia here-- it's like a mirage in the desert here, so out of place among tin-roofed fales. Samoans can't even afford to go there, only the visiting New Zealanders and palagis (white people) can, so what kind of aid is that? The frustration that came from visiting the center made me choose to do my ISP on the implications of foreign aid in developing countries-- I want to study the strings that are attached to these "kind gestures."

But the water DID feel really nice.

Miki ma Maile.

View from our classroom... surreal.

View inside the classroom... similarly stunning.


I'm in the room on the left with the supermodel from 2 pictures above.


Sorry again for the lack of details, once I get better connection, I'll add more pictures and attempt to describe the surreality that has been our lives in the past 2 weeks. Alofa lava!

No comments:

Post a Comment