Friday, February 22, 2013

Piula and Truck Bed Stargazing

Yesterday we went to a lecture at the Theological College, on the western side of Samoa. The lecture was about the pervasive influence of missionaries in Samoa, which would have been interesting enough, but we had it in a beach fale right beside the ocean. It was absurdly beautiful. And to top it off, Piula Cave is right on the Theological College's campus, a freshwater pool/cave that's directly opposite the ocean. I don't think I've ever been to such a beautiful place in my life. And I finally got to use my underwater camera! It died before we went into the ocean, where I saw WILD fish, but I'll be back there soon, undoubtedly.

Difficult to be artsy when you can see your purple goggles in the shot...


So many fish!

Goggle selfie...


Kuini!
This is me in front of the house I lived in for 3 hours... USP literally doesn't know how many students will come until the day they arrive, which is a good way to summarize the Pacific lifestyle. It meant that all of our SIT group was shuffled around a lot. I don't exactly know how to change the order of pictures, so I guess just enjoy?

The Theological College


You could also swim through an underwater hole in the cave to get to another cave. Trippy!

Sanaa the mermaid goddess
Last night, we were going out clubbing and a student here offered us a ride in the back of his pickup truck. The rides there and back were by far the best parts of the night. The club itself was a little sticky--you know how hot clubs/bars at home get? Multiply that by proximity to the equator and you get a Samoan sauna.

Stargazing. Or corpses in the back of the truck. Difficult to differentiate here.

Niko Suave

A sketchily acquired police coat

Oh and I guess more fish pictures?


The eel I stalked for 5 minutes. This is the closest to a glamour shot as I could manage.
We're off to village homestays in 20 minutes. We'll be there for a week, and I'm assuming no internet will be available. I'm a little nervous, but it should all go swimmingly. Fa soifua, talk to you all next Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. I can see that you guys have enjoy the back of my truck... miss you guys....#uspalafua

    ReplyDelete